Nontraditional Wedding Vows
Some couples want to steer clear of the traditional wedding vows that are often exchanged at wedding vows. Whether you like your vows short and sweet, or you just want to declare your love a little differently, the following sample wedding vows can help you say what you really feel.
On this day, (month, day, year), I, (name), join myself to you (name), before this company. May our days be long, and may they be seasoned with love, understanding and respect.
To marry the person you have set your heart upon is a joy unparalleled in human life. (Name), take this ring as a sign of my faith and my commitment to our love, and share this joy with me today.
Where there has been cold, you have brought warmth; where my life was dark, you have brought light. (Name), I pledge before this assembled company to be your (husband/wife) from this day forward. Let us make of our two lives, one life, and let us always honor and respect each other.
I came to this place today as a (man/woman) standing along; I will walk from it by your side. Today I cross the threshold with you and enter into a new and lasting lifetime commitment. (Name), I commit myself to you as your (husband/wife).
(Name), our miracle lies in the path we have chosen together. I enter this marriage with you knowing that the true magic of love is not to avoid changes, but to navigate them successfully. Let us commit to the miracle of making each day work – together.
Sample Wedding Vows – Starters
* I, ______, choose you, ______, as my best friend for life.
* I, ______, choose you, ______, to embark upon this great journey of marriage with me.
* I, ______, take you, ______, as my soul mate and companion.
* I, ______, take you, ______, to be my wife, my partner, my friend, my confidant, my soul mate.
Sample Wedding Vows – Middle of your vows
* Together, we can accomplish anything.
* Together, we will be better than we could be alone.
* Together, we will share our love with the world.
* Together, our love will grow into a bond too strong to break.
* Our love may be like the ebb and tide of the ocean, but it will always flow.
* Through the good and bad, I want you to always know that I will be by your side.
* I will be there for you in the ups and downs of life.
* I pledge my all to you.
Sample Wedding Vows – Pledges
* In sickness, I will nurse you back to health. In health, I will encourage you on your path. In sadness, I will help you to remember. In happiness, I will be there making to memories with you. In poverty, I will do all that I can to make our love rich. And in wealth, I will never let our love grow poor.
* When you need someone to encourage you, I want it to be me. When you need a helping hand, I want it to be mine. When you long for someone to smile at, turn to me. When you have something to share, share it with me.
* Though life may not always be as perfect as it is at this moment, I vow to always keep my love as pure as it is today. I promise to be there for you in your laughter and your tears, in your sickness and your health, in your comfort and your fears, in your poverty and your wealth. I know that our love is heaven sent, and I promise to be there for you for all your life, come what may.
* We have already been through a lot together, and I believe that God has been preparing us for this moment and for our future together. I promise to keep the good memories alive, and to let the bad ones die. I vow not to let the sun go down on our anger, and to treat each morning as a new day to love you, the gift I have been given. I will not forsake you or these vows that we have made, but rather strive to show you my love for the rest of our lives. This is my promise to you.
Sample Wedding Vows – Theme Vows
I, ______, take you, ______, as my best friend for life. I am so in love with you that I want to promise to stand beside you through thick and thin, through good and bad, through joy and sorrow. I want to spend the rest of my life hearing your thoughts and seeing your dreams. I promise to do my best to make our lives better and better from this day on because I am so amazed by you. This is my solemn vow.
“From This Moment”
From this moment, I, Name, take you, Name, as my best friend for life. I pledge to honor, encourage, and support you through our walk together. When our way becomes difficult, I promise to stand by you and uplift you, so that through our union we can accomplish more than we could alone. I promise to work at our love and always make you a priority in my life. With every beat of my heart, I will love you. This is my solemn vow.
“1 Corinthians 13”
I, ______, take you, ______, as the love of my life. I vow to be patient with you and the circumstances in our lives. I vow to be kind to all people we come across. I vow not to be boastful of our love or about our accomplishments. I promise to be proud of you, but not proud in love for though I will strive for perfection, I know I can never reach it. I promise not to be quick to anger, but to think before I speak and act. I vow not to keep a record of wrongs, but to always keep the happy memories alive. Through God, our love will never fail.
“Could Not Ask for More”
I, ______, choose you, ______, as my everything. I vow to love you through sickness and health, through the good and the bad, through richer and poorer. You are everything I need, and at this moment I know that all my prayers have been answered and that all of my dreams have come true. This is the moment I have waited my whole life for. I promise to give you my all and I know that I could not ask for more from you. I love you and always will. This is my solemn vow.
Here are some examples of funny wedding vows:
I (Name), take you, (Name) to be my lawfully wedded (husband/wife) and chief tennis doubles partner, for richer, for poorer, for better, for worse, in sickness and in health, for when we win and the very very rare occasion when we lose. I promise to love, honor, and cherish you, to return your serves and do my best not to foot fault. This I vow to you.
I (name), take you (name), to be my beloved wife. I promise to love you and be your faithful partner, for better for worse, for richer, for poorer, when the Jets are winning, and when they are losing, in sickness, and in health, and in Jets-induced sickness. I will be true and loyal, and cherish you for all the days of our lives.
I, (name), take you (name), to be my (wife/husband), to have and to hold from this day forward, for better or for worse, for richer, for poorer, for even poorer when I’ve been shopping a lot, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish; from this day forward until death do us part.
Bride: I, (name), choose you, John, to by my husband. In front of our friends and family, I promise to love and cherish you through every obstacle that may come into our path. I promise to learn how to change a tire and how to refill the screen wash when it runs out. I will comfort you when your team loses and drink beer with you when they win. I will love you always.
DEAREST HUSBAND, I PROMISE…
“…not to quote the stat about how many men have heart attacks while shoveling snow—as you go out to shovel snow.”
“…never to ask, ‘Are you wearing that?’ when you obviously already are.”
“…that I will try harder to remember where I put my bag when I come home. And someday my keys. One step at a time.”
“…that I realize wanting you to rub my feet all the time and never, ever wanting to touch yours is essentially unfair.”
“…to never stop grabbing you for a deep, sexy kiss—even though it makes the kids scream, ‘Eww, my eyes are burrrning!'”
DEAREST WIFE, I PROMISE…
“…that I will sit down, shut up, and watch an episode of Glee without once raising my lip-syncing suspicions.”
“…next time I’ll remember I’m a dad having a friendly snowball fight with his kids, not a World of Warcraft death match.”
“…that I know you are the best gift I’ve ever received, and to unwrap you very slowly and appreciatively on Christmas night.”
“…to contribute more than just my signature to the thank-you note.”
“…to accept that the pecking order in the bed goes child, dog, pillows, then me.”
Read more: Wedding Marriage Vows – Funny Marriage Vows – Redbook
©2007 About.com, Inc., a part of The New York Times Company. All rights reserved.: http://weddings.lovetoknow.com/wiki/Sample_Wedding_Vows